For over forty years, Wicker Smith has represented major airlines, aircraft operators, fixed base operators, and aviation product manufacturers in litigation in both state and federal court, and also worked with air carriers and maintenance facilities during NTSB investigations following major aircraft accidents. Wicker Smith is regularly retained by the biggest names in aviation when it matters most. Some notable matters include:
- Acting as lead defense counsel for Valujet in the multi-district litigation for the Valujet crash in the Florida Everglades on May 11, 1996.
- Represented Delta Air Lines, Inc. in the crash of Comair Flight 3272 in Monroe, Michigan on January 9, 1997.
- The airplane crash that killed the entertainer, Aaliyah, in The Bahamas on August 25, 2001.
- Acting as lead defense counsel for Chalk’s International Airlines in the incident involving the seaplane crash that occurred in Miami harbor on December 19, 2005,
- Represented Delta Air Lines, Inc. in the crash of Comair Flight 5191 in Lexington, Kentucky on August 27, 2006.
- US Airways flight 1702 runway overrun in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, March 13, 2014.
- Crash of Execuflight flight 1526 while on approach into Akron, Ohio on November 10, 2015.
- Emergency evacuation of American Airlines flight 1822 at Palm Beach International Airport on July 21, 2016.
Some other examples of our recent aviation experience include:
- Representing aviation insurance companies in various insurance coverage matters.
- Representing aviation insurance companies in both pursuing and defending insurance subrogation claims.
- Representing air carriers in litigation arising from frequent flyer reward programs.
- Representing air carriers and airport vendors in various personal injury claims brought by airline passengers.
- Obtaining dismissals of lawsuits pursuant to the terms of the Montreal Convention for both air carriers and airport vendors.
- Performing protocol assessment and contract reviews for a major fixed base operator to minimize risk exposure.
- Representing a major general aviation engine manufacturer in all statewide litigation.
- Representing various helicopter and airplane flight schools against claims of negligent maintenance and negligent flight instruction.
- Regularly briefing and arguing issues of law including federal preemption of air carriers, federal preemption of aviation manufacturers, and the General Aviation Revitalization Act.
The attorneys in our aviation practice group have the specialized knowledge and experience to resolve the toughest aviation issues and cases.